Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Back Story : 2010 to the Present

So let's catch up, shall we? In June 2009, I lost my job and my health insurance. In November 2009, we moved back to the town I grew up in and regained health insurance. Up through this point, I was not taking any meds to control my PCOS or prevent pregnancy. I was (carelessly?) cavalier about the whole thing - if it happened, it happened, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen.

Moving back to this area after 7 years away meant finding all new doctors. Coincidentally, during this time period one of my Facebook friends (let's call her Ms. Hepburn), someone I've known since elementary school, "liked" a page or group relating to PCOS. I saw that and sent her a message. Despite the fact that we hadn't been all that close recently, I figured it was worth a shot. I explained that I saw her update and was wondering if she had PCOS, too. I also mentioned that I was looking for a gyno. Ms. Hepburn gave me the name of Dr. M and said that it was Dr. M who diagnosed her, that she was a great doctor, great personality, etc.

In the fall of 2010 I made an appointment to get an annual exam and get on the patient roster for Dr. M. We were finally ready to start our family, so that was a topic of conversation as well. Dr. M was familiar with Metformin as treatment for PCOS and gladly gave me a prescription for 1000mg per day. We settled on that dose because it controls my insulin and glucose without overdoing it on the side effects. Dr. M indicated that many women are able to ovulate and successfully conceive with just the Metformin alone. I wasn't as optimistic as she was, but she wanted to give it a full year to see how it would regulate my cycles.

It turned out that the Met brought about visits from AF about once every 60 days - so twice the "normal" cycle length. At my annual exam in November 2011, Dr. M indicated that she was OK with that cycle time ... but I wasn't. She had mentioned in 2010 that the next step after Met would be Clomid, a prescription drug that induces ovulation. So I brought up the Clomid at this visit in 2011. She was totally on board with prescribing it for me. I had some other medical issues (unrelated to my fertility) to clear up, so I waited before starting the Clomid.

Clomid Cycle #1 began at the very end of December 2011.... and you know what? I think this is a good place to take a break. These posts have gotten pretty darn long, so what do you say we maybe give each Clomid cycle it's own posting? Sound good to you? Great. Until next time, then.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Only Rule : Be kind.

We're each on our own journeys through life, and there is already enough negativity in this world. This little space on the web is meant to be warm, welcoming and friendly. I will take measures to govern the comments if things seem to be getting out of hand. If you follow The Only Rule, we'll all get along just fine :)